Monday, November 22, 2021

20) More Musings on Wrinkles and Other October Hobgoblins

 September 6, 2021
Monday 

Integration Rationale: My body seems to be rebelling against me! 

Next skirmish: the groin pain is a hernia! Hernia surgery and a bonus colonoscopy afterwards scheduled for October 1st. Is there a body part that hasn't been poked and prodded?

This post is presented as sort of a digest since it has gotten hard for my fuzzy brain to keep everything straight... and so once in awhile it is just better to do a "monthly" post, it seems. 

Actually, at times I worry that about the origin (analysis?) of my "fuzzy brain" or "brain fog" is explained by the stroke, or ammonia in my liver, or over medication, or too little protein, or older age memory loss, or over worrying. [So it goes]

October 1, 2021
Friday

South Austin St. David's Hospital: We're here at 5:30 in the morning to check me in for my colonoscopy first and then my open inguinal hernia operation. The whole thing went very smoothly.  

#1 Finding: No major polyps in my colon and now I am old enough that they don't recommend getting a look up there every five years!  Since I've had two pretty clean ones, no more are needed unless there's a specific reason to check it out again. (Good news after having about six colonoscopies over the last twenty years).

#2 Report: Hernia is retucked and screened in and then the incision is glued shut... no more stitches in areas that get movement! 

I'm awake by 12:30 and home by 3 pm! By 8 pm I can feel my pain and take some pain meds, although it's not too bad except when I walk or go up the stairs. 

Returning to some form of consciousness: This afternoon I'm also aware that today is my dad's birthday... he would have been 99 today.  I have a picture of Dad holding my son, John behind a cake on the counter that has a 64 on it: John IV is 2 and John III (me) is 39. Today John IV is 37 and I was 37 when he was born in 1984.

These mathematical details fill my drowsy mind as I return to the here and now and begin to understand that something somewhat painful happened down in my groin. 

Followup with Dr. Lorenzo went good, although I do have some intermittent pain when walking or going up and down the stairs thirty times a day. He says walk it out... slowly at first.

October 28, 2021
Thursday

In for a stress test for Dr. Wozniak: no eating or coffee before hand and the test wasn't until noon. This type of nuclear stress test is "done to show how well blood flows through the heart... (and how well the heart is pumping)... during rest and... exercise."  See Nuclear Stress Test for more information.  Got the results on November 5th: "Normal left ventricular ejection fraction; normal myocardial perfusion scan; and Indeterminate lexiscan stress test" which Neva Schmelzer, FNP wrote up as "normal".  NOTE: it is like music to my ears, reading that something in me is "normal".

No comments:

Post a Comment