Wednesday, February 5, 2020

1) Preface: A new adventure begins

November 10, 2018
Wednesday

Background: It is very comfortable when we think of ourselves as being a basically healthy 71 year old male. We have become accustomed to our “feeling older” and a bit achy and stiff at times; knowing we should exercise more and yet our Cardiologist gives a clear bill or health, aside from the slight murmur of a sticky valve.
Up until this past June, I thought of myself as being in good health, even though there are still people who surprise me by greeting in a low, concerned, voice: “How arrrre you?” That salutation takes me aback and I realize that the person still thinks of me as “sick” since I had my kidney transplant nine years ago now (see Jack's Kidney Adventure on Blogger).

On September 25th that healthy hallucination of myself was jarred by going for a ultrasound and an MRI and then being summarily referred to the Texas Liver Institute (TLI) for further testing related to what appeared to be cirrhosis of the liver!  “What?”

That’s what I said.

Summer Swelling: Over that summer I had some swelling of my ankles that got worse as the Texas summer got hotter.  On June 7th Dr. Crystal McKay at ARC met with me to go over my labs that showed "elevated hepatic enzymes, indicating abnormal liver function.  So, Dr. McKay next scheduled an MRI and based on the results referred me to the TLI. 

No comments:

Post a Comment